Saturday, October 11, 2014

BEWARE THE DYSFUNCTIONAL EXPAT

What is the psychological profile of the typical expat living in developing countries?
I am not a professional psychologist.  My analysis below is just my opinion from what I have observed living in Panama and now the Dominican Republic since 2006.

My statistics are not for accuracy, but for now lets stick to the 80/20 rule.  In my opinion, 80% of retired aged expats are normal and 20% are dysfunctional. The opposite is true, with some exceptions, for young expats, where I see 80% of expats under age 50 dysfunctional and 20% normal.  Although what my wise friend James S. said is true, that many of us have left our homeland because we are the adventurous ones, the outspoken ones, the rebels, the "odd balls", I write this article to go deeper into expat behavior.

  By dysfunctional, I mean they have psychological problems that have affected their ability to work or socialize "back home" and have now sought refuge in an exotic country to try and escape their problems.  These problems could include personality disorders, inability to socialize in a healthy way with family and friends, inability to keep gainful employment back home, drug, alcohol, gambling or sexual addictions or other antisocial, self-destructive behavior.
I believe that, from my observations, 80% of retired age expats are normal.  After all most retirees come to developing countries to live the beach life because it is affordable.  Santa Barbara, Miami, and San Diego are much too expensive to live compared to most tropical spots in developing countries.  However, 20% have come to escape their life back home for the reasons I describe above.  They don't have any real family or friends back home anyways, so its better to just pick a new place to live and start over.

  The young expat is where dysfunctional behavior is much more prevalent.  My observations - in Panama City and Sosua/Cabarete - bring me to conclude that most young expats are dysfunctional.  PTY (Panama City, Panama) is a truly international city with high growth and a healthy economy.   Business and industry there is vibrant and diverse.  I know a lot of normal, healthy young expats there, so I would say that because of the many reasons a young expat would live in PTY, the percentage of normal young expats is higher than my current home, Sosua/Cabarete, Dominican Republic.  A lot of international companies are setting up shop in PTY so there are more reasons for young expats to be employed and productive there.
  Quite the opposite scene in Sosua/Cabarete.  This area has been ranked the #8 best beach cities to retire in the world by Kathleen Peddicord, publisher at Live & Invest Overseas, which in my opinion is THE resource for offshrore living (along with International Living).  I came to live here because in my travels I found this beach community to be the prettiest for the least amount of money.  Any other place as beautiful cost more to live, and any place cheaper wasn't worth living there.

  This is the first time I lived in a place that was not a big city.  I have lived in New York, Boston, Las Vegas, San Diego and PTY.  Beach living is different.  There are no tall office buildings filled with white collar employees or business tycoons. Its tranquil, peaceful, relaxing... beach life.  But here I see about 80% of the young expats as dysfunctional.  Drug or alcohol problems being the #1 issue.  It appears as though a lot of young expats came here to escape something.  Problems back home, criminal behavior, etc.  The 20% that are normal are productive and have hobbies that keep them busy.  One job I noticed in PTY and DR is computer programmers.  These guys/gals can work from anywhere, so they chose to work from a tropical country where the cost of living is super cheap and they can have a great lifestyle and save more of the high income they earn, which includes tax benefits (low or zero income tax).  The typical young expat is also transient.  The very likely will not stay in one place very long.  Some do this to explore new experiences, like me.  Others do it because once again its time to escape from the demons that have followed from back home.
These are my observations.  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

3 comments:

  1. Frankie Vincent Sorichetti,

    It's February of 2015 and since mid-January you are wanted in the Dominican Republic for the murder of another American who also lived there.
    The FBI and American Embassy are involved. The local newspapers have revealed that you did time in California for threatening a federal judge.

    And you're writing an article about "Dysfunctional Expats"????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frankie Fixit (Frankie Vincent Sorichetti who changed his name to Frankie Corleone, because he wanted to be a modern day Godfather (if you are having trouble believing this: Exclusive: Suspect Accused Of Threatening DA | NBC 7 San Diego )) fled and is on the run. There is an ALL POINTS BULLETIN OUT ON HIM and HE IS CONSIDERED ARMED AND DANGEROUS. Pearla de Sosua and Brent's other property, which was stolen, were siezed and taken control of by the office of fiscal.

    http://dr1.com/forums/north-coast/148106-perla-sosua-where-brent-15.html#post1525483

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE your post!! 100 percent accurate! Dysfunctional and could not make any life for themselves in a first world country and/or have serious issues with human relationships or communication of any kind. TRUE!!

    ReplyDelete